- New Agriculturist on-line magazine
- The Organic Farmer - The online magazine for sustainable agriculture in Kenya.
- Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa
- Grow Biointensive - Organic Farming Methodology & Network
- E-agriculture.org - Case studies and information about use of ICTs for sustainable agriculture and rural development
- Instituto Interamericano de Cooperacion para la Agricultura - (Spanish) Inter-American Institution for Agricultural Cooperation.
- Rodale Institute - Organic farming research for practical training to thousands of farmers in Africa, Asia and the Americas.
- Southeast Asian Regional Center for Research in Agriculture (SEARCA)
Agricultural Support Organisations
- Urban Agriculture
- NCAT Sustainable Agriculture Project - Access to publications that promote conservation in the agricultural sector. The site can also be viewed in Spanish.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
- World Agroforestry Center - News and research on agroforestry from around the world
- Apimondia - Comprehensive site on beekeeping globally
- The Coffee Guide - detailed information on the international coffee trade for those working in the industry such as exporters and coffee authorities
- The Fish Site- Huge amount of free news, information and research on fish-farming
- World Fish Center - Aquaculture for poverty reduction: news, research etc.
- Vetiver Network - The Vetiver System is a low-cost and extremely effective system for soil and water conservation, infrastructure stabilisation, pollution control, waste water treatment, mitigation and prevention of storm damage and many other applications. You never knew vetiver grass could have so many uses!
Educational Materials and Resources
- Commonwealth of Learning - Range of resources with heavy focus on open / distance learning
- Connecting Classrooms - Collaborative projects for learners, professional development for practitioners, a British Council initiative.
- I School - Resources for primary, secondary, college and university education in Zambia.
- Next Vista - Free online library of video resources for learners everywhere
- Open Learning Platform - UNESCO site with large number of educational resources
- Practical Action- Practical Action is a development charity. It aims to inspire people to adopt practical ways to help themselves.
- World Virtual School - the highest quality online courses, at the lowest cost possible.
- Experiential Learning - Resources and downloadable training modules for proactive learning.
- E-Learning for Kids - Courses and games in Maths, Science, Health, Langauage etc. for children aged 5-12 years.
- Khan Academy - Resources for educators and students in Science and Humanities.
- EcoEd - Economics and Finance resources for K12
- ILO - International Labour Organization articles on youth entrepreneurship.
- Know About Business - The ILO Know About Business programme is designed to promote awareness among young people aged 15 to 25 years of the opportunities and challenges of entrepreneurship and self-employment.
- Association for the Development of Education in Africa (ADEA)
- School Net South Africa
- British Association for International and Comparative Education - Promoting teaching, research, policy and development in all aspects of international and comparative education.
Education Support Organisations and Initiatives
- UNEVOC - UN International Center for Vocational Education & Training.
- British Council - Skills training for employability and much more!
- Technical Education and Skills Development Authority - Skills and competency based education resources from the Philippines
- Achievers International - join over 30,000 students in a practical introduction to international trading. Students and their teacher form a company, and import and export goods with a partner school overseas.
- Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa - Resources to help small-scale farmers across Africa improve farming productivity.
- Consortium for Entrepreneurship Education - A useful source of teaching materials and resources for entrepreneurship education.
- Donor Committee for Enterprise Development - Resources on market demand, project design, implementation, impact assessment and final documentation.
- Entrepreneur Oasis - Information, resources, and social networking for the global entrepreneurship community.
- Entrepreneurship toolkit - a toolkit for Social and Environmental Entrepreneurs.
- EnvisionGood TV - featuring social entrepreneurs, nonprofit leaders, and globally responsible businesses.
- Grassroots Business Fund - Training, capital and mentorship to enable individuals to develop and launch viable and sustainable enterprises.
- HKCSS-HSBC Social Enterprise Business Centre - Promoting social entrepreneurship.
- MBAs Without Borders - empowering entrepreneurs by matching them with talented MBAs to build poverty alleviating business solutions.
- Ohio State University - Program for Acquiring Competence in Entrepreneurship (PACE) - Knowledge and resources to start and manage a business.
- Next Billion - Discussion forum, networking space and knowledge base for individuals and organizations about development and enterprise.
- Social Enterprise Alliance - Resources on earned income strategies for social benefit.
- Social Innovations Conversations - free podcasts on social entrepreneurship, environmental sustainability, philanthropy, corporate social responsibility, responsible investing, and more.
- Social Enterprise Solutions - A social enterprise toolkit, from start to finish.
- Unleashing ideas about entrepreneurship and innovation.
- Appropriate Infrastructure Development Group (AIDG) - An organisation that supports the development of small enterprises - top rated!
- Enterprise Village - Online resources to teach and learn entrepreneurship.
- Dell Social Innovation Challenge - An opportunity to showcase your enterprise or project that tackles some of the world's biggest concerns. Competition entry between January - June 2012.
- Business Guide for Kids - Lots of links on becoming an entrepreneur and ideas for starting up your own business - a great guide. Thanks to Mrs Weston's Kids for the suggestion!
Blogs on Entrepreneurship
- Timbuktu Chronicles - A veritable goldmine of articles on entrepreneurship and small-scale technology with a social edge.
- Fundraising Toolkit - Great guide on fundraising from the British Council as part of their Global Changemakers program
- Collins Group - Consulting firm for NFP organisations with some useful resource guides
- Alpos - Fundraising guide for non-profits
- Raise Funds - Non-profit fundraising resource.
- Give Meaning - Build your own online fundraising community to support your project. This easy-to-use site offers a chance for NGOs based in developing countries to fundraise internationally online for their development initiatives.
- Latin America Donor Index - information about giving to projects in Latin America and the Caribbean in one place.
- Star Impact Awards - an annual award of $100,000 - plus consultancy support - for organisations showing excellence in services to disadvantaged children.
- Grant Makers Online - Free online database of grant makers. Use to identify potential funders in a particular country or region.
Foundations which accept applications direct from local NGOs
- The Emerging Markets Foundation - US Foundation supporting local NGOs in select developing countries (see their list) working in education and several other areas
- The Global Fund for Children - Makes small grants to innovative community-based organizations working with some of the world’s most vulnerable children and youth.
- The Cottonwood Foundation - This foundation focuses its funding on grass roots organizations - in over 50 countries - relying strongly on volunteers and where support
In Kind Donations
- Pack For A Purpose - Request in kind donations from travellers
San Francisco Agricultural High School, Paraguay
Run by Fundacion Paraguaya this organic farm school has been running at 100% financial self-sufficiency since 2011, covering all its costs through income generating activities.
Songhai Centre, Benin
The Songhai Centre runs six schools across Benin and one in Nigeria and aims at full financial independence achieved through marketing of school products & services.
- Songhai Centre website
Baraka Agricultural College, Kenya
In support of its mission to promote Sustainable Agriculture and Rural Development, Baraka maintains four income generating units which complement its educational work in a number of ways.
- Baraka Agricultural College
Delivering a generation of global citizens who are knowledgeable about and inspired to take responsibility for the sustainability of the world.
- Green School website.
- Ananda Foundation - grants of 500 USD to 5,000 USD for projects affecting women and childrenn, and orphans, street children, child labourers, rural communities, slum communities, persons with disabilities and persons affected by HIV.
- Barefoot Guide - a DIY guide - free to download - for leaders / facilitators to help organisations to function in more healthy, human and effective ways and contribute to a more humane society
- Capaciteria - A large database of NGO resources from Accounting to Volunteer Management
- Development Gateway - huge online community for the international development community with vast database of resources & range of newsletters
- Eldis - download free more than 26,000 summarised documents from over 7,500 development organisations, on development, inc. resources (toolkits, guides etc.) & research.
- Idealist.org - Links to useful resources for non profits neatly categorized (fundraising, technology etc.)
- International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
- One World Trust - promoting good practice through codes of conduct, certification schemes, reporting frameworks, directories and awards.
- SEED -A global partnership for action on sustainable development and the green ecconomy. SEED supports innovative small-scale and locally driven entrepreneurships around the globe.
- United Nations Development Programme - Good development and policy practices on issues of poverty among developing countries.
- Practical Action - An organisation that promotes sustainable technology to challenge poverty. Browse their publications or ask a question!
- Kopernik - An online technology marketplace.
- Marios Cleovoulou- Hay Sacks as an alternative, environmentally sustainable method of cooking. See 'Wonderbag' blog below for more info.
- Asset Based Community Development Institution - Resources to build community capacity.
Networks & Newsletters
- Global Links Initiative - An network of social actors seeking to inspire each other
- Social Edge - Informative and entertaining newsletter informing and connecting social entrepreneurs.
Blogs on International Development
- All African Bazaar - Blog featuring short articles on charitable organizations with ongoing projects in Africa or impacting the African Diaspora.
- Poverty Matters Blog - The Guardian
Finance and Accounting
- Mango - Management Accounting for NGOs (Mango) is a UK NGO whose website contains a wealth of material on good financial management for small to medium sized NGOs in developing countries - including a free simple to use Excel based accounting system. See their resources & publications sections for more info.
UK Networks supported by Teach A Man To Fish
- BOND - British Overseas NGOs for Development (BOND) is the UK's broadest network of voluntary organisations working in international development. It aims to improve the UK's contribution to international development by promoting the exchange of experience, ideas and information.
- Trade Justice Movement - The Trade Justice Movement unites over 80 member organisations with more than 9 million members campaigning for fundamental change to the unjust rules and institutions governing international trade, so that trade is made to work for all.
- Charity Facts - General information about UK charities
- Go Self-Sufficient - Resources about low-cost energy, growing food, etc.
- GSBI Video blog - Nik Kafka on revolutionising rural education through school businesses - both to teach critical productive skills to students and also to produce income for schools to become self-sustaining.
- Institute of Fundraising (UK) - Information about fundraising from the UK's professional body for fundraising.
- Kyoto Energy - working to make solar energy the most cost effective form of energy as it is already by far the most benign and plentiful
- Non-profit hub - Resources on topics like advocacy, development, fundraising and so on.
- Travolution - a global portal enabling local communities anywhere in the world to market their services to travellers. Travolution reinvests 90% of its profits into the local communities it works with.
- Voluntourism - supports the well-being and progression toward self-reliance of families and children in the US / Mexico Border Region of Northern Baja.